Wednesday, May 28, 2008


Originally, a barrio called Latag (a Tagalog word meaning plain), Carmona was just a part of the big town of Silang. This is not surprising because in the early part of the Spanish regime Silang included what today are known as the municipalities of Indang ; San Francisco de Malabon ( now General Trias), and Maragundon. Moreover, Alfonso, Amadeo, and Mendez were mere sitios of Indang ; Sta. Cruz de Malabon(now Tanza) was a part of San Francisco de Malabon or Malabon Grande ; and Magallanes andTernate were barrios of Maragundon. Furthermore, Maragundon itself had been a part of the Corregimiento of Mariveles on the opposite side of Manila Bay.

Mainly because of the great distance to the mother town, the principales and incumbent cabeza de barangay of Latag petitioned for its seperation and conversion into a municipality on February 20 1857. The new town was called Carmona, after a town of the same name in the Spanish province of Siville.

Two years after securing the independence of Carmona, the principales requested the Governor of Cavite for the reversal of the Canon on communal lands after constructing their own public buildings and irrigation works. The petition of the principales was dated November 15,1759. But in 1872, the communal lands were sold at public auction, which was opposed two years later by Don Gaspar Espiritu in a communication to the Superior Civil Governor.

An event of great significant to the people of Carmona was the strong typhoon of October 25, 1874, which wrought considerable damage to the public works and private property. Seven years later, on July 6, 1881, the principales of Carmona requested the rectification of the town’s boundaries. .

Moreover, on January 22, 1864, the incumbent gobernadorcillo and principales of Carmona petitioned higher authorities for the abolition of the repartimiento of the communal lands triennially.

Source: Saulo & de Ocampo: Cavite History

No comments: